William Arthur Digby

William Arthur Digby was a trustee of the Eustace Street Meeting House and of the Widow’s Alms House on Cork Street that was in the ownership of Eustace Street congregation. He was also a trustee of some of the funds of that congregation. He lived on Eccles Street but later moved to Templeogue.
          William Arthur Digby was born about 1816, and Louisa (Morrison) Digby his wife born about 1829, had at least four children all baptised at Eustace Street Meeting House, in the 1850’s. These four included their daughter Edith (named on the headstone) who was about 22 years old when she died. They had at least three other children, including the two infants whose deaths are recorded on the headstone at Delgany Cemetry Co Wicklow. After his death in 1889 a legacy was left to the St.Stephens Green church, ‘the Digby Fund’.
          The plaque below is on the wall under the Digby Memorial window (picture front cover) we cannot find a signature on the window, it could be French, English or Irish in origin.




Delgany Cemetry Co Wicklow No.3148
The wording on the family gravestone


Sacred
To the beloved Memory of
EDITH FLORENCE DIGBY
second and dearly loved daughter
of
WILLIAM ARTHUR and LOUISA DIGBY
She died 1st October 1877
at Delgany, Co. Wicklow
"She being dead yet speaketh"
"Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid"
"In my Father's house are many mansions"
Also
of their beloved infant children
FLORENCE MARY and ARTHUR FRANCIS
who died at Idrone, Templeogue,
Co Dublin in 1865 and 1867
aged 16 months, and 18 months
"Not lost, but gone before"
Also
To the Cherised Memory of
the above beloved mother
LOUISA DIGBY
who died 4th April 1879
aged 50 years
"Unto the upright there ariseth
Light in the darkness"
Also of her husband
WILLIAM ARTHUR DIGBY
who died April 9th 1889, aged 73 years
"The pure in heart shall see God"


Rory Delany
Dublin Unitarian Church



Cover